In no particular order here are my favorite/ most useful baby gifts. Please keep in mind that Little G is only 5 months old, so this list may be updated when he is a bit older.
1. Baby Monitor – Yes everyone registers for a monitor, but having a great monitor is a totally different experience. We have the Graco Angelcare Deluxe Movement Sensor With Sound Monitor. I cannot tell you the peace of mind that it gives us. If at any point Little G decides to stop breathing it lets us know. It also has the great feature to turn off the background noise until Little G makes some noise and then it turns back on .
2. A lightweight and versatile stroller – Most people’s first instinct is to go for the big stroller with all of the bells and whistles. In the end, most people hate these and get an umbrella stroller. I would recommend the Baby Jogger City Mini. (Click to see my earlier review)
3. Large burp cloths – Everyone registers for the new cute and narrow burp clothes. Thankfully we were given some of the larger cloth diapers, and they were lifesavers. We used them as burp cloths. The narrow ones were essentially useless. If cloth diapers are not your thing, there are two very cute alternatives. Target sells a Circo brand cloth diaper look-a-like, with a really cute design, sorry I couldn’t find a link. Gerber also makes wider, diaper-style burp cloths.
4. Pacifier Tether – These are awesome!! You can tether anything to anything else. I tether toys to the stroller, pacifiers to the baby, pacifiers to the car seat. They are great. My tether of choice is the Paci-Grip by Booginhead
5. Personalized clothes – We received 2 personalized onesies, 2 personalized bibs and a personalized blanket. These were so cute and we loved loved to put Little G in these. The blanket is still my favorite!
6. Baby-proofing kit – Honestly I wasn’t super excited with this, but now that Little G is becoming mobile, it’s awesome. We don’t have to worry about buying much, and we have everything that we need.
7. Scout – This is super fun, and it says his name, favorite food, color and animal. It also has a setting to play night time music for 2, 5 or 10 minutes, with a bunch of songs to choose from. In the daytime songs, it will use his name and favorites as part of the words!
8. Car-seat cover for winter – I recommend this style. It’s really popular to register for the style that goes under and over the baby. I don’t like these for 2 reasons. It gets really hot in there, so having the layer on top is plenty. Plus the top layer one also goes around the baby’s head.
9. Toy links – These are ridiculously useful and inexpensive too. You can link things longer, add to other toys, link them to seats etc. Both Sassy and Fisher Price make some.
10. A great car seat toy – We have the John Deer Musical Farmyard Toy Bar. This distracts him when he hates the car seat, which is more often than not. It’s awesome in stores as well as the car.
Runner up – Pack n Play – We haven’t used this yet, but now that Little G is mobile we can’t put him on beds to sleep as he will find a way to roll off, or scoot backwards off the end of the bed, I think this will become a new fav.
D had his own addition to the list. While I didn’t think it should be part of the list, I did want to give the dad’s opinion. His gift of choice…a blu-ray player…enough said!